Tuesday 13 April 2010

Radical CHURCH History (1)


It strikes me that, to most people, "radical church history" probably translates subliminally as "RADICAL Church HISTORY". History because, okay, that's where we're going to find some gems. Radical because hey, that's what we're wanting to get inspired by - and towards. But Church? Well that's just the context because we're Christians, isn't it?

Part of what burns in my heart and makes me do this blog is that I want to restore the value of CHURCH. I'm no Luddite, but I can't go along with the line I read in several newsletters I receive, that "we are now at last emerging from the dark days of priestly systems into the true kingdom of spiritual believers". Am I the only one who picks up behind these words a spiritualised version of everyone did what was right in their own eyes (Deuteronomy 12:8)?

Church as a living, committed band of brothers and sisters, an incarnation of the kingdom of God in shared, sacrificial lives - that to me is radical and totally relevant today. The whole "Belong - Believe - Behave" school of thought requires there to be something warm, alive and identifiable to belong to.

Christians of old understood this far better. John Cennick (1718-1755) was an evangelist and church-planter with the Moravian Church, predominantly in Ireland. He was also a hymn-writer, and today I simply offer, without comment, one of his hymns about being joined to a radical CHURCH.


Hail, church of Christ, bought with his blood!
The world I freely leave.
Ye children of the living God,
Me in your tents receive.

Bride of the Lamb, I’m one in heart
With thee, through boundless grace,
And I will never from thee part;
This bond shall never cease.

Closely I’ll follow Christ with thee,
I’ll go the appointed road;
Thy people shall my people be,
And thine shall be my God.

Now am I, Jesus, one of those,
Who in thy fold have place,
Who, gathered at the Saviour’s cross,
Enjoy redeeming grace.

O yes, nor would I change my lot
For all this world can give!
By grace I’ll keep the place I’ve got;
For thee alone I’ll live.

1 comment: